Thursday, October 24, 2013

On My Mind Lately...

Today is the day!  The day I decided to start writing on this blog again.  I am going to try and do recipes everyday, but that may not always happen.  What I do hope is to be consistent and use this as an outlet for the randomness that clutters my brain.  No one may read it, and that is fine, but I may touch just 1 person and if I do,  I have done what I intended.  So often I focus on the people and situations that tear me sideways and miss the blessings of the silent ones.  The silent ones are who I want to team with.  They are the ones that make an impact in the lives of those around them.  They do it not for themselves, but for others.  That charges my batteries, not this other crap.  I can't really say what's truly on my mind, as I am not ready to get that vocal yet.  I will say that in the past 2 months, I truly see the value in having a handpicked small group of people that you know will hold you up when you need it.  I have always known this, but I honestly have lived it the past couple months.  Friends who join me in giving so unselfishly of their time to the school have been my rock (insert eye roll) and safe place many days.  They love me (I think) and remind me to always laugh at myself and not take myself too seriously.  Suzanne, Sarah, Susan and Kara, this post and a sip from a 2-liter is dedicated to y'all. I truly heart you all!

I will throw in a short recipe, as a week or so ago I posted that a spoonful of this makes everything ok.  The "this" is my mom's Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce.  It is just decadent (read: so damn good) and doesn't even need to be heated or poured over ice cream. Scooping a spoonful right from the jar works just fine!  Enjoy!

Mary Jeter's Hot Fudge Sauce

2-1 ounce squares unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
pinch of salt
1-6 ounce cane evaporated milk
1+ Tablespoon vanilla

Stir the first 5 ingredients together until the chocolate and butter melts, the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.  This will take about 5 minutes or so over medium high heat.  Stir it constantly or it will burn.  Once it comes to a boil, remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla.  Pour it into a glass jar  and store in the refrigerator.  This will make 2 cups. 

I usually double this and at Christmas I quadruple it and it will make 5 pints or 11 half pints to give as gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment