Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bring on the Pot...Crock Pot that is!

Catchy title don't you think?! I had to do something that would grab my enormous (in my dreams) following!

Seriously, today is all about that thing you love to hate....the Crock Pot! I don't know about y'all, but after 2 or 3 meals, everything tastes the same that is cooked in it. Well listen up my friends, your world is about to be rocked by this amazingly simple and oh so delectable dish.

As you all know, we love us some fine bar-b-que in the south. Tomato, vinegar or mustard based, it is all tasty and it is all about what you prefer. In my house we love mustard based...thanks to Maurice's Barbeque. While it is a bit controversial that they fly the confederate flag on the roof of their business, they make some mean barbeque.

I have been in such a rut for meals for my family, that I knew that I had best get my act together or be reduced to eating Beenie Weenies. I scored a home run tonight and you can score one tomorrow night with this fab-o meal.

Without further chatter, here you go....

Crock Pot Pork Loin Roast

1 3-4 lb pork roast
6 whole cloves
salt & pepper
2 onions
water

Slice 1 onion and place in the bottom of your pot.

Take roast and push the whole cloves into the top and salt and pepper it to taste. Place on top of onions.

Slice second onion and scatter on top of roast.

Add enough water to fill pot about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way full.

Put top on and cook on low for 7-9 hours.

Once roast is done and very tender, remove it from the pot, remove the cloves and discard the water and onions. Put the roast back in the pot and shred it up.

Add your favorite barbeque sauce and set on low for an hour or so more. You may need to add a little water or broth to keep it from getting to dry.

That is it! How simple is that, and they will think you slaved for hours!

Franny's notes:
What I love about this is how easy it is. The next best thing about it is that I picked up the pork roast while at Target waiting for a prescription. I was okay to buy the meat, as it was prepackaged by Hormel and looked beautiful with no funky colors. Guys....this roast was $6.49! Can you stand it?? What a bargain! For the sauce, I used John Boy and Billy's sweet and mild Grillin' Sauce. When I make this again, because you know I will now make it until my family says, "dear God not again!" I will use Bone Suckin' Sauce. I just didn't have any and the thought of going to the grocery store was more than Icould handle. I will be serving this over rice, again because that is what I have, but it would be phenom on good seeded buns.

Let me address the clove ingredient.........don't lose me on this! I was super skeptical at first, but it gives the faintest hint of flavor. Whole cloves are in the spice aisle...likely in the glass jars. If you have an Earth Fare near you, you can buy cloves by the ounce. Whole Foods or fresh market may do it too. At Earth Fare they are in the section with vitamens, loose herbs, etc...go figure. my point on this is, that I got a small Ziploc bag of cloves for less than a buck and have more than plenty for many many more roasts.

Let me know how it goes! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment