Monday, February 23, 2009

A Monday Fix

Woo-Hoo, here we are at the beginning of another week. In my house, we like to say, "gotta bad case of the Mondays!" Well listen up, bad Monday's are about to come to a screeching halt with the addition of a Coca Cola Cake, or as my grandmother Eunice would say "Co-cola Cake". Y'all, this cake is like nothing you have ever had. When you take your first bite, you will want to close your eyes and have a little moment to yourself.

Unlike the Hot Milk cake, this cake is based off of a cake mix. How cool is that?! If you get in the kitchen and dig your heels in, you can have this cake mixed and in the oven in about 8 minutes. What could be better....except maybe someone doing it for you AND cleaning up!

Y'all have a great Monday and stop off at the Teeter, Ukrops or whatever your grocery store of choice is and grab the ingredients for this, you will not be sorry.

Coca Cola Cake

Preheat oven to 350 and grease or spray a 9x13 pan.

Beat together the following:
1 box white cake mix
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 stick of melted butter
1 cup of Coke
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon quality vanilla extract

Beat this for 4 minutes on medium high, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Stir in:
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows

Pour batter into pan and bake about 35 minutes. Once the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan and the cake springs back when you press on it, it is done.

While the cake is cooling for 15 minutes, make the frosting/icing.

Coke Icing

1 stick of butter
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1/3 cup Coke
1 1lb box of powdered sugar, sifted

Melt the butter of medium heat. As butter is melting, stir in the cocoa and Coke. Stirring constantly, bring this to a boil and remove from heat. Stir in the powdered sugar. Mix until the icing thickens up and is smooth. You can add a splash of Coke if you need to.

Pour the icing over the top of the cake. Spread it so that the entire cake is covered. Once it sits, it will harden up. Wait 30 minutes before cutting the cake.

Franny's notes:
Like the previous recipe, a stand mixer is top of my list for beating. Also, right up at the top are the silicone spatulas from Sur Le Table. Wow, these things rock it out! My mom gave me the one and only that I own, and it has reindeer on it. I love it so much that I refuse to put it away until the Christmas season. That being said, I think that the store comes out with themed spatulas for each season. Not as cheap as the dollar store, but will certainly last you longer than 1 week! I also have to give kudos to my 9x13 Wilton cake pan. This is the only pan that I make this cake in. It comes out perfect every single time. So grab your 40% off coupons from Michaels and Hobby Lobby and treat yourself to a great cake pan. I am sure that glass pans would do fine, this is just what makes me happy.

In terms of the ingredients, any white cake mix will do. I usually get whatever is on sale or better yet a "buy one get one" deal. The buttermilk I use is usually the fat free, only because that is all I can usually find in a quart container. I know that I don't have to remind you about my thoughts on butter and vanilla, if you need a reminder, go back and read my notes on the Hot Milk cake.

Savor each bite of this trashy sounding, but incredibly fantastic cake. xoxox

1 comment:

  1. UM - DELICIOUS! I made this last night and it is almost gone tonight....we had some friends over and everyone loved it...thanks again for another wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete